God has truly blessed Sully Christian School through the years. Having grown from the dreams of a few faithful men gathered in a church meeting back in 1908 to the fully accredited, successful institution we have today is truly a testament to the faithfulness of our Heavenly Father.
The idea of a Christian school in Sully first materialized on February 11, 1908 when a men's society at the Sully Christian Reformed Church entered into a discussion about the necessity of Christian education. Wasting no time in working to make the dream a reality, a general assembly was called one month later to further discuss the matter. As a result of this meeting, the first school board was elected and a school society was organized. The seven members of the first SCS Board were: John Stek, D.A. Van Zante, Wm. Vos, Sr., Peter Lanser, Dick Bruxvoort, Martin Zylstra and A.G. Vos. The board and society members struggled for several years to make the school a reality and, on February 11, 1911 a meeting was called to move forward withplans to hold summer school in the Christian Reformed Church's consistory room. Miss Cora Haan from Grand Rapids, MI came to Sully to teach that first summer for a salary of $100. The following summer, Mr. H. Van Dellen arrived to teach and at that time plans were set into motion to build our own school. A drive to raise funds was held and shares to be redeemed later were also sold.
The committee that was formed to find a location for the new school purchased six lots at the corner of 2nd Street and 9th Avenue from John Varenkamp for $1,000. A new one room school was built and it's doors were opened to students for the very first time on September 3, 1913. Mr. Van Dellen began with 30 students but, enrollment grew so rapidly that an assistant teacher, Miss Marie Vos, was hired in March of 1914 at a salary of $15 per month.
Though the new school was blessed beyond what anyone could have imagined, it was not without its trials. In 1917, due to uncertainty caused by World War I, rumors of plans to burn the school due to its Dutch heritage ran rampant in the area. When county authorities ordered the school to close for its own safety, the school society met and decided to take turns keeping guard over the school themselves every night. After a time, when things seemed to have blown over and calmed down, the pastor of the Christian Reformed Church arose early one morning and discovered that the school was on fire. With the help of another member of the congregation, the flames were extinguished and the school was saved from burning to the ground. It took two years for the Secret Service to find and convict the person responsible. In 1918 an influenza epidemic swept through our community, as well as the nation, closing schools, churches and all public places for a time. In spite of these setbacks, the school continued to grow and by 1919 the school had four rooms filled with 102 students and our first 8th grade graduation was held in honor of five students.
Kindergarten was begun at SCS in 1925 and the first bus was purchased in 1938. On December 17, 1943 the note for the money borrowed to build the school was paid off and burned. In 1951 an addition to the school provided another classroom and, by that time, a fifth teacher. In 1946 a second bus was purchased and in 1951 a third. In 1953 the first Mother's Club, which later was renamed the School Circle, met for the first time with the purpose of working together to earn extra money to purchased items the school was in need of.
In 1955 a four acre parcel of land at our current location was purchased from John E. Jansen and, on August 3, 1958, ground was broken for the new school. The current building was dedicated on August 24, 1961. In 1967, the 3rd and 4th grade rooms were added to the west end of the school and in 1988 a new addition, which included a new gymnasium and kitchen, was completed and dedicated in conjunction with the school's 75th anniversary.